Who invented the KEN™ diet?
The KEN™ diet was invented by Mr. Gianfranco Cappello, associate professor of general surgery at the University of Romea��s La Sapienza Hospital, and has been introduced in India by AIWO.
What is the KEN™ diet all about?
The doctor threads a narrow tube through the patienta��s nose, down their throat and into their stomach. A pump drip feeds a protein liquid formula through the tube continuously throughout the day and night for a period of 10 days. There is no limit on how often this 10 day cycle can be repeated but there needs to be a 10 day rest period in between cycles. The estimated energy intake while on this diet is 130kcal per day.
Benefits of the KEN™ Diet
- The KEN™ diet promises weight loss of between 6-9% of initial body weight for each 10 day cycle.
- Although during the treatment cycle patients are not allowed to eat anything they do not feel starved and this “controlled starvation” does not affect the muscle mass either.
- Patients can continue to perform their routine activities during the treatment as usual.
- The KEN™ treatment can be taken by almost anyone and there are no side effects of this treatment.
- Drink at least 1-2 litres of fluids daily and keep food portions small as possible.
- Most of the foods are allowed.
- Avoid foods high in sugar and fats.
- Intake of Alcohol should be minimal.
- Prefer bread with whole wheat and soya
- Chicken, turkey, beef and fresh ham meats are allowed. Processed meats such as salami and mortadella should be avoided.
- All types of fish are allowed but mostly avoid fried fish.
- Eggs are allowed.
- Choose low fat options of cheese such as Philadelphia Light and cottage cheese.
- All types of vegetables are allowed. Intake of potatoes and beans should be minimum.
- Use Vinegar, salt and lemon for dressings. Avoid oil dressings.
- Eat at least two fresh fruits a day.
- Use sweeteners and avoid sugar in Tea and Coffee.
During the KEN™ cycle of 10 days, 24 hour feeding is done to patient with a special liquid formula which provides all essential nutrients. There is no need for any extra preparation and the patient can take food or fluids before the introduction of tube. Due to continuous infusion, state of ketosis is created which takes away all feeling of hunger in a patient during treatment. The body is switch into Ketogenic mode which breaks down its own fat stores.
Patients are able to perform their daily activities without any problem and will go through the whole period without the need of any additional food. During the treatment, patient should not take anything but water, tea, chamomile tea or coffee without sugar or sweeteners, otherwise the Ketones are reduced and the feeling of hunger might appear. This is something which should be carefully avoided. For every cycle, there is a loss of about 6 a�� 9 % of the total body weight. Also, there are no side effects and the cycle can be repeated as often as necessary till the desired weight is gained.
KEN™ therapy can be taken by almost anyone. It is not suitable for people with kidney failure or for the people who have allergy to milk proteins. The KEN™ diet formula a�?isna��t a super high-protein diet, which strains the kidneys. It is highly recommended for people with heart problems. The main side-effect of KEN™ therapy can be constipation, caused due to total lack of fibre. But all patients are given laxatives and are asked to test urine every day. Ketones created when body burns its own fat are expelled through the urine and breath resulting in bad breath.
After completion of KEN™ treatment cycle, AIWOa��s ProasisA� protein shot & IsometricA� meal replacement shot are useful for supporting a healthy lifestyle and by further reducing the weight up to 3 a�� 4 %. Along with the ProasisA� protein shot & IsometricA� meal replacement shot, follow the guidelines given below to daily maintain your weight.