- Joint pain supplements are commonly taken to relieve pain in the joints that occur due to different reasons.
- Most joint pain supplements are obtained from naturally occurring ingredients.
- Different supplements such as glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, SAMe, and vitamin D have different mechanisms of action to relieve joint pain in different parts of the body.
- Most of the joint pain supplements are considered safe for healthy adults.
- Glucosamine is a natural component of the cartilage which confers protection to the joint tissues.
- Chondroitin has been shown to reduce joint stiffness and joint pain in individuals with arthritis.
- Boswellia extract has anti-inflammatory properties and this helps relieve joint pain
What is joints relief supplements?
Joint pain is a common ailment among individuals above the age of 35. Joint pain can have many causes. Common among them are routine wear and tear, osteoarthritis, degenerative arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis or sports injuries. There are multiple ways of dealing with joint pain, but people generally prefer to use painkillers.
However, this option is neither the best way to treat joint pain nor is it safe to use it perpetually. So, many people these days opt for joint relief supplements. These are research based products used to treat joint pain.
How it works
One of the main reasons for joint pain and poor joint health is inflammation in the joints. While most painkillers reduce the pain associated with inflammation, joint pain supplements essentially work to reduce inflammation in the joints. This subsequently reduces pain and discomfort as well.
Joint pain supplements are of various types and a lot of research has been going on and continues to take place on each of these supplements and their effect on joint pain.
- Avocado-soybean unsaponifiables
- Vitamin D
- Omega 3
What are the benefits of joints relief?
- Glucosamine is a common component of cartilage that prevents bones from rubbing against each other and causing inflammation and pain.
- Chondroitin can reduce joint stiffness and joint pain in individuals with arthritis.
- SAMe is a common supplement used for cartilage repair and helps to relieve arthritic symptoms.
- Vitamin D supplements have shown to reduce joint pain and inflammation.
- Curcumin has anti-inflammatory properties that can relieve joint pain and inflammation.
- Chemicals present in the Boswellia extract have anti-inflammatory properties and this helps relieve joint pain.
- Extract from avocado and soybean oils have shown to prevent the breakdown of cartilage.
- Omega-3 is found in many food items and has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
What is the recommended dosage of joints relief supplements?
- Glucosamine: Glucosamine sulphate is usually taken in a dose of 1500mg. If you feel that this dosage is not suiting you, you can space it out in three doses of 500mg each.
- Chondroitin sulphate: 400-800mg of chondroitin sulphate 2-3 times per day can be taken safely. There are many chondroitin sulphate supplements that are available in this dosage.
- SAMe: Consuming 200 to 400 mg of SAMe three times per day is beneficial. However, one must remember that it takes a while for its effects to show.
- Vitamin D: If your vitamin D levels are less, you can safely consume 1000-2000 units of the vitamin per day after consultation with your doctor.
- Turmeric: One can safely consume up to 500mg of turmeric 2 times daily. Individuals on blood thinners and those with digestive issues need to exercise caution while consuming turmeric.
- Boswellia: Commonly available Boswellia supplements contain dosage ranging from 100 mg once a day to 333 mg up to thrice a day.
- Avocado-soybean unsaponifiables (ASU) - About 300mg per day of ASU can help relieve joint pain symptoms.
- Omega-3: Consuming 2 to 4 g of omega-3 per day has shown to reduce joint pain. One can also take fish oil supplements in dosages 300 to 1000mg per day that are easily available.
AIWO Recommendation: AIWO's Joints Relief supplements contain Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Boswelia, and Curcumin. Recommended dose is one tablet (500 mg) twice everyday.
Safety and Side Effects
What are the common side effects?
Joints relief supplements are considered safe when used appropriately by adults. However, some people do experience mild side effects such as stomach upsets, drowsiness, headache and skin reactions.